Saturday, September 6, 2008

Action Speak Louder Than Words

After spending time as a Secondary Education Minor I have come to learn that actions do speak much louder than words. I have observed this both in the classroom as a student and as a teacher figure during junior field. This semester I have come across a professor who tells the students one thing and then her action negate everything that she has said. She has this habit of responding to students questions thoroughly with a rude tone in her voice. She also tends to down grade students when they don't understand something. As an education minor I pick up on these things and it has forced me to see the kind of teacher I do not want to become. Even as an adult in that class I am very uncomfortable going to that class in fear of being embarrassed or down graded because of my opinion. It is really difficult to go to a class and know that if your opinion differs from your teacher you will be told you are wrong. I now know how it feels for students in high school to be picked on or given a hard time in class. After being on the receiving end of this, I could never imagine running my classroom like that. I plan to make my classroom a place where students feel comfortable in showing up as well as expressing their opinions.

1 comment:

Dr. Luongo said...

Nice to see you are still blogging!

Miss you!